Ground Up 046
TAKING DOWN GOLIATH
w/ Dylan Schwartz
How to grow your audience through careful curation, the intricacies of Instagram & competing with large agencies.
Dylan Schwartz is a photographer & owner of the digital agency Kissd. After years of working for large creative agencies he decided to start something of his own. Instagram has become a critical part of his success.
Not long after he downloaded the app, Dylan noticed certain photos performed better than others. With that feedback loop (create, curate & get feedback) he moved forward. He continued to hone his skills, soon amassing nearly 100k followers & learning to use direct messages to attract new clients.
“If I don’t think this post is good enough to print & hang on my wall I won’t post it.”
Dylan and I talk about the intricacies of creating content for Instagram, how he uses direct messages to get new clients & catching trends.
"It's like programming a channel. I want each piece of content to be better than the last.
- The rise of digital advertising (00:13:53).
- Starting Instagram & learning quickly (00:17:05).
- The feedback loop: Create, Curate & Get Feedback (00:20:36).
- Going toe-to-toe with large agencies (00:46:17).
- The secret of getting new clients through Instagram DM's (00:48:14).
- How do we leverage our current skills to help promote ourselves? (00:53:39).